With my daughter home from school for the next couple of weeks during her holiday break, we have a few fun family days planned. We aren’t traveling during the holidays and being pregnant I really just wanted to stay close to home. We have a full lineup of things to do in Arizona during holiday break.
10 Things to do in Arizona during holiday break
Phoenix area activities
1) Plan a picnic at the Usery Mountain Regional Park and stop by the nature center to learn about animals found in the Arizona desert.
2) Spend the day at the Phoenix Zoo. Be sure to plan a scavenger hunt at the zoo for more fun!
3) Visit Butterfly Wonderland to experience America’s largest butterfly atrium. Observe the process of metamorphosis, spend time in the conservatory, and explore the many different indoor exhibits. Open daily, be sure to connect with Butterfly Wonderland on Facebook to learn more about their holiday themed butterflies.
4) Arrange a tour of Shamrock Farms, the largest family owned dairy farm in the Southwest. Learn about how the cows are treated like family and enjoy a lunch complete with homemade ice cream.
5) Visit the Desert Botanical Garden to walk through a beautiful garden with over 50,000 plant displays showcased in outdoor exhibits.
Northern Arizona activities
7) Plan a day trip to Bearizona, the drive-thru wildlife park in Williams, Arizona. See bears, buffalo, wolves, and more roaming around the scenic two-mile route in your own vehicle. The park is open year round but is especially fun to see the animals playing in the snow during the winter.
8) Have some fun at Old Tucson and learn about Arizona’s rich Old West history. With live shows, artifacts, and real movie sets, you’re sure to learn something new while taking a step back in time.
Activites for children
9) Spend time creating family memories at As You Wish and bring home your custom painted pottery piece. Get creative and paint a pottery piece of your choice without having to clean up!
Disney’s Into the Woods opened in theaters Christmas Day and is a fun PG rated family film. The talented cast including Maryl Streep and Emily Blunt will have your family singing all through holiday break. The film leaves you feeling like you just stepped out of a Broadway show instead of a movie theater. My family was invited to see the film before it was released in theaters. My six year old daughter enjoyed the music and seeing the characters from her favorite classic fairy tales.
“Into the Woods” is a modern twist on several of the beloved Brothers Grimm fairy tales, intertwining the plots of a few choice stories and exploring the consequences of the characters’ wishes and quests. This humorous and heartfelt musical follows the classic tales of Cinderella (Anna Kendrick), Little Red Riding Hood (Lilla Crawford), Jack and the Beanstalk (Daniel Huttlestone), and Rapunzel (MacKenzie Mauzy), all tied together by an original story involving a Baker and his Wife (James Corden and Emily Blunt), their wish to begin a family and their interaction with the Witch (Meryl Streep), who has put a curse on them.
All the amazing musical and acting talent made it hard to choose a favorite but I loved seeing Chris Pine as The Prince. He’s definitely charming!
Remember to visit our favorite family restaurants, top kid friendly restaurants in the Phoenix area, to make your holiday break extra fun!
How will you be spending your holiday break with kiddos home from school?