Lets talk about domestic violence – The Purple Purse movement

Disclosure: This post is part of a sponsored campaign with The Allstate Foundation and MomSelect. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Domestic violence is all around us. One in four women will be a victim of domestic violence in her lifetime. 25% of women will be involved in an abusive relationship. The other 75% probably know someone affected by domestic violence. Even more surprising, two-thirds of Americans believe domestic violence is a problem yet just 1 in 3 have ever talked about it. I grew up in a very safe and supportive environment. We learned you did not hurt the ones you love with physical violence. Sadly, according to statistics, only one quarter of my peers had that same environment free of domestic violence. The Allstate Foundation launched The Purple Purse movement to bring awareness and work toward ending domestic violence.


Emmy-nominated Kerry Washington is helping encourage people to talk openly about domestic and financial abuse. The two topics are simultaneous as most domestic violence victims stay with or return to their abuser due to the lack of financial support to break free. Kerry has designed several purple purses to help bring awareness and open conversations about the abuse. The Purple Purse fundraising will directly benefit 140 national, state, and local domestic violence shelters. They are working to help domestic violence survivors break free and stay free from abuse. The purple purse charms are being distributed to help supporters show they recognize the problem and want to help bring awareness. Each charm is given with a survivor story.


I’m proudly wearing my Purple Purse charm because I believe my daughter and all children deserve the opportunity to grow up in a safe and supportive environment free from domestic violence. Together we help bring awareness to the problem and teach others it’s okay to talk about our experiences and seek help. 


If you or someone you know needs immediate help, call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or TTY 1-800-787-3224.

How will you show your support in the fight against domestic violence and financial abuse?

Learn more about The Purple Purse movement and how you can help by connecting with them on Facebook and Twitter.


1 thought on “Lets talk about domestic violence – The Purple Purse movement”

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Follow on Instagram